2011

Rose Power

Thursday 29 December 2011

The Odyssey

For my visual study guide I have thought in depth about choosing a work of literature and finally settled on the Odyssey. I chose it because its extremely old and doesn't appear often in popular culture (like Jane Austen's work). This unfamiliarity makes it daunting and unapproachable, but I can change this.
It was also essential for me to select a book I knew well as, though I'm going to simplify it (visually) it helps if I know what I'm talking about! I wanted to choose a story that was exciting, not just so I could spread my enthusiasm for it to others, but also so I don't get bored along the way. 
Perhaps most importantly, I chose the Odyssey because it precedes any kind of literary technology, having been orally narrated. Handmade books did exist when the poet Homer was alive, but he would have struggled to write one - he was blind!


I'm aiming to make images which can be understood by the masses, most of whom are only familiar with this Homer:

No comments:

Post a Comment