2011

Rose Power

Tuesday 8 November 2011

Reflective statement

By using blogs as the medium through which to experiment I have showed that I understood and engaged with the brief effectively. I have researched why and how people use blogs successfully to reach a wide audience, particularly illustrators using blogs as an 'online gallery' space. I have carefully considered my own voice and concerns by making the experimental blogs personal (Rose Power Illustration) but understand that the internet is vast and it would be more interesting and relevant to now expand the project outside of my own vision. I made a start on this when I chose to involve and ask the opinions of others in my first experiment.

An extract from one of my survey responses

Though I could have been more adventurous in equipping myself with new technology I consider this relevant to the section of contemporary technology I am investigating; like me, all you need to make/view blogs is a computer and the internet. This is what makes blogs so versatile, perhaps too much so. So far I have written down ideas as soon as I think of them (attempting present the messy notes in my folder more neatly on this blog). I have continuously questioned and evaluated myself (via blog posts) and this self-critical attitude came out as a strength in the peer review. I have taken a lot of notes and made diagrams but have done very little drawing, so this is something I can embrace in Coursework 2, along with making 3d models if necessary.

If given more time, I would have liked to perform more experiments, but this is what comes next. I need to look more deeply into the meaning of images being altered when they appear on blogs and how 'blogging' could translate into the real world. Ideas for physical alternatives to blogging were going to be my 3rd experiment, and this is where I will go next, but I feel this is less of an experiment and more of a development of existing research, though more research and investigation is inevitable. I am also interested in continuing to compare Tumblr and Blogspot in terms of their typical users and their different traits.

No comments:

Post a Comment